REPORT OF THE WEBINAR FOR DEANS AND HEADS OF DEPARTMENT FROM FACULTIIES OF ENGINEERING IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES AND STAKEHOLDERS IN ENGINEERING
REPORT OF THE WEBINAR FOR DEANS AND HEADS OF DEPARTMENT FROM FACULTIIES OF ENGINEERING IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES AND STAKEHOLDERS IN ENGINEERING HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 11TH NOVEMBER, 2020.
COREN organised a Webinar for Deans and Heads of Department from Faculties of Engineering in Nigerian Universities and some other stakeholders in Engineering on the topic “Implementation of the Outcome Based Education (OBE) in Engineering Programmes of Nigerian Universities” on 11th of November, 2020.
2.0 THE REPORT
The workshop started at 10.00am with a National Prayer. About eight hundred (800) persons registered online for the Webinar with two hundred and fifteen (215) participants present at the meeting.
Highlights of the Registrar’s Brief
- The next COREN Webinar programme on OBE would be for train-the-trainers workshop for Universities on formulation of PEOs, POs and CLOs.
- Accreditation programmes would be more quantitative and not subjective.
- COREN had designed software for computation of level of attainment of Programme Outcomes in Engineering programmes in all the Faculties of Engineering in Nigeria.
- COREN would be placing an advert for people who are interested to serve as Assessors in OBE to apply for training. Then, Council would take decision on the outcome.
- COREN would continue to organise training on OBE for all Universities.
- However, the selected Universities asked to prepare for OBE would be used for first pilot OBE Accreditation in 2021.
- Universities are advised to have OBE Desk in their Institutions. The desk should be manned by Engineering Academia who are knowledgeable in OBE; and who would be trained by COREN to acquire the knowledge required for the implementation of OBE.
- That COREN would be working with some stakeholders like the Federal Ministry of Education, Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment, etc.
3.0 PAPER PRESENTATIONS BY RESOURCE PERSONS
The following Resource Persons presented Paper at the Webinar.
|S/N||NAME||TITLE OF PAPER|
|1.||Engr. Prof. Baba El-Yakubu||Outcome Based Education, a paradigm shift in Nigerian Engineering Education|
|2.||Engr. Dr. EyitayoAfolabi||What is OBE? and the â€œThrust of OBEâ€|
4.0 INTERACTIVE SESSION
After the presentation, there were questions and comments raised and they were all attended to by the Registrar and the Resource Persons.
5.0 CHAIRMANâ€™S CLOSING REMARKS
The Chairman, Engr. Prof. S.Z Abubakar, FNSE, thanked everyone for attending the programme. He also thanked the Paper Presenters for the good job done and assured them that they would be required to make presentation on OBE when the need arises.
6.0 VOTE OF THANKS
Engr. (Dr.) Mayas Adoyi, FNSE, on behalf of the President and the Registrar of COREN, gave a vote of thanks to the University Representatives and other stakeholders for attending the meeting and for the successful completion of the Webinar.
The meeting which started at 10:00 am was adjourned at 12.30 p.m.