NASARAWA STATE GOVERNOR
Speech Delivered by His Excellency, Engr. Abdullahi A. Sule, FNSE,
Executive Governor of Nasarawa State, on the Occasion of the Inauguration of the State Technical and Expatriate Monitoring Committees, Lafia: Tuesday 14th July, 2020.
- His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa State;
- The Right Hon. Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly;
- The Hon. Chief Judge of Nasarawa State;
- Principal Officers and Members of the State House of Assembly;
- Members of the State Executive and Security Councils;
- The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State;
- The Head of the Civil Service;
- The State Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC);
- Special Advisers;
- Permanent Secretaries;
- His Royal Highness, Hon. Justice Sidi Bage Muhammad I JSC (Rtd) Emir of Lafia and Chairman, Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs;
- Chairmen and Chief Executives of Commissions, Boards and Parastatals;
- The Executive Chairmen of Local Government Councils and overseers of Development Areas here present;
- Your Royal Highnesses, Emirs and Chiefs here present;
- The President of COREN, Engr. Aliyu Rabiu Maisuya,;
- Other Officials and Members of COREN;
- Gentlemen of the Press;
- Ladies and Gentlemen.
It is with gratitude to Almighty God that I address you today on the occasion of the Inauguration of the Nasarawa State Technical Committee and the Nasarawa State Expatriate Monitoring Committee on Engineering Regulations and Monitoring (ERM).
- As you are aware, Engineering is the fulcrum for all meaningful development and considering the policy direction of this Administration on infrastructural development, this occasion is apt and timely.
- Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, in view of the emerging challenges of building collapse in the country, with attendant effects on human lives and property, it becomes incumbent on Government to evolve strategies to address this phenomenon. Accordingly, we constituted these Committees to guide against the unfortunate situation.
- I need to state that members of these Committees were selected based on their records of experience, commitment, dedication, hard work, professionalism, patriotism and pedigrees. I charge you, therefore, to live above board and justify Government confidence reposed in you. You must carry out your assignment with due diligence, devoid of any sentiment or favouritism.
- In carrying its responsibilities, the Committees are to be guided by the following terms of reference:
- To locate, document Organisations and personnel and report to Registrar;
- To verify and monitor the professional competence of Works Approval Officers;
iii To act as COREN watchdogs on maintenance, upholding Engineering codes of practice in public works, prohibit default and ensure that all such works are in accordance with Engineering design and specification by Registered Engineer;
iv To verify that all organisations working in the area of Engineering contracting have at least an active Registered Engineer on their Board of Directors;
v To observe and report cases of non-adherence to approved Engineering Codes of Practice in respect of Public and Private works to the Registrar;
vi To report all defaulters and contravention of COREN ACT to the Registrar;
vii To verify that all Engineering Practitioners (local and foreign) in the Engineering Organisations have valid COREN Practicing License.
- Let me reiterate that in carrying out engineering projects in Nasarawa State, there will be no tolerance for quackery. In the same token, no Engineer will be allowed to supervise any project except duly registered by COREN and possesses appropriate practicing license which shall be a condition for prequalification by all companies assigned to carry out engineering projects in
the State. In this wise, I urge the Committees to come up with stringent regulations that will guide the ethics and practices of the profession, as well as adherence to project specifications.
- I need to commend the Engineering Regulations Monitoring (ERM) for the choice of Nasarawa as the pioneer State to inaugurate the programme among the thirty-six (36) States of the Federation. This will go a long way in adding value for money in engineering projects. I, therefore, assure you of Government continued support in providing conducive environment to enable the Engineering profession achieve its noble objectives of entrenching standards for quality delivery of projects.
- Ladies and gentlemen, as you are aware, the world today is faced with the Coronavirus pandemic otherwise known as COVID-19 which has shut down the world economy. The number of infected persons kept increasing on daily basis, particularly in Nigeria. It is for this reason that we have evolved measures in order to control and contain the spread of this virus in Nasarawa State. The measures may be difficult for the residents but it remain the best approach to curb the spread of the pandemic. I appeal to all and sundry to adhere strictly to the measures imposed towards reducing the spread of the disease in the State.
- On this note, it is now my pleasure to inaugurate the Committees on the Nasarawa State Technical Committee and the Nasarawa State Expatriate Monitoring Committee in the State.
- Thank you and May God bless us all.