ENGINEERS (REGISTRATION, ETC), ACT
An Act to establish the Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria and to make provisions for other matters connected therewith.
[1970 NO. 55]
[5th December 1970]
Establishment of the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, etc.
1. Establishment of the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria
- There shall be established on the coming into force of this Act, a body to be known as the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (hereinafter in this Act referred to as “the Council”) which shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid and be charged with the general duty of —
(1992 No. 27)
- determining who are engineers for the purposes of this Act;
- determining what standards of knowledge and skill are to be attained by persons seeking to become registered as engineers and raising those standards from time to time as circumstances may permit;
- securing, n accordance with the provisions of this Act, the establishment and maintenance of a register of persons entitled to practise as registered engineers and the publication from time to time of lists of those persons;
- regulating and controlling the practice of the engineering profession in all its aspects and ramifications;
- performing the other functions conferred on the Council by this Act.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Council shall consist of the following members from the register of engineers, that is
- six persons elected to represent the Nigerian Society of Engineers in the manner provided by the constitution of the Society;
- four persons appointed to represent the universities with faculties of engineering in rotation;
- six persons appointed to represent the States of the Federation in rotation;
- four persons to be nominated by the Minister; and
(i) registered engineering technologists;
(ii) registered engineering technicians;
(iii) registered engineering craftsmen.
(1992 No. 27)
(3) the provisions of the First Schedule to this Act shall have effect with respect to the qualification and tenure of office of members of the Council, powers and procedure of the Council and the other matters there mentioned.